Check out what’s been going on this week at Villages of Hope-Africa…
VOH Kitwe is going green! We were recently introduced to the Emerging Cooking Solution, a Swedish owned company in Zambia that allows us to cook our HEPS (High Energy Protein Supplement) meal each day without using charcoal to light the fire. Instead, this new cooking solution allows us to use solar energy for cooking. While preparing our HEPS meal each day we are no longer emitting gases that contribute to global warming and are supporting the fight against deforestation. The materials we now use instead of charcoal are pellets of biomass made from saw dust and any other residue materials such as ground nut shells and maize stocks.
After we reported to Emerging Cooking Solutions just how well the stove was working for us, the company decided to donate another stove for us to use as well! We also purchased solar lamps for each house. We have indeed gone green and are making our children safe at night when there is so much electricity load shedding in the nation.
Purchasing the new stove and the solar lamps could have been very difficult had it not been for the donors and friends of VOH Africa and we are very thankful.
At VOH Chongwe we believe a well-rounded education is very important. For this reason, we have begun art-integrated programs including a Drama Group, which learns and shares the word of God through dances and songs to fellow students. This term, the drama group performed a skit about the love of Christ using the story of the Prodigal Son. Their fellow students loved it!
At VOH Kenya our Administration Building is almost complete and looking fantastic thanks to the hard work of our construction team! The whole place is buzzing about how nice it looks and how it brings colour and life to the village. Though it’s intended use will be for administration offices, it will be used temporarily as a classroom for our Form 2 (Grade 10) students while they await the completion of the new high school.
This week at VOH Malawi we found these lovely grade 7 girls studying hard after school. Every afternoon we find these girls sitting together as they tackle their latest homework assignments. It’s great to watch them helping one another as they learn the material together. It’s equally great to hear them laughing and see them smiling as they study. We are so happy to see them embracing their studies as education is one of Village of Hope’s core values. With each new thingthey learn, we know their future becomes brighter and brighter.
It is wonderful to have 5 girls from the VOH Mongu Children’s Homes join the music team at Hope Church, our local church here in Mongu. They all passed their auditions, and loved singing and dancing in their first practice! We pray this commitment will help the girls deepen their relationship with God and that it will join them together more as sisters.
Our primary school at VOH Zimbabwe held their Prefects investiture today. The head-boy, Simangaliso, is from one of our children’s homes at the Village. We are very proud of Siman, and all of the children who were selected to fill this important role in the new school year. Well done to all!
Villages of Hope Africa provides nutrition every day to over 3000 orphaned and vulnerable children through our school programs. 85% of these children come from communities surrounding a VOH location, with the remaining 15% living on site. Find out more about our programs at: vohafrica.com/
“At the Kachimfya Youth Empowerment Program (located at VOH Kitwe) it is our goal to educate, equip, and empower youth with career development, life skills, and the arts. We provide daily classes free of charge to vulnerable, impoverished, and orphaned youth. Located on-site at VOH, we are next to Racecourse, one of the poorest communities in Kitwe, Zambia…” (read more)
Share this post: